Description of Research:
Our lab is interested in understanding the genetic epidemiology of PCOS and how genetic variants and long coding RNAs are involved in its pathogenesis and heterogeneous phenotypic manifestations. We employ animal models of PCOS to check changes in expression patterns and how natural products can be used to ameliorate PCOS.
Our lab is also involved in the identification and characterization of novel therapeutic proteases from plants.
1.Title: Insulin gene VNTR polymorphism in Kashmiri women with polycystic ovary syndrome
Funding Agency: ICMR, New Delhi
2. Title: Expression analysis and polymorphism of CYP11, CYP17 and CYP19 gene and their relationship with hyperandrogenism and PCOS in Kashmiri women.
Funding Agency: Department of Health Research, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi
- Shayaq ul Abeer (Ph.D.)
- Sairish Ashraf (Ph.D.)
- Mudasar Nabi (Ph.D.)
- Syed Sakina (Ph.D.)
- Sana Farooq (Ph.D.)
1. Muzafar Rather, Zubair Shanib Bhat, Ali Mohd Lone, Mubashir Maqbool, Shajrul Amin, Bilal Ahmad Bhat and Zahoor Ahmad(2018). In vitro antimycobacterial activity of 2-(((2-hydroxyphenyl)amino)methylene)-5,5-dimethylcyclohexane-1,3-dione: A new chemical entity against Mycobacterium tuberculosis. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents DOI:10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2018.02.022
2. Saleema Jabeen, Showkat Ahmad Bhat, Sabhiya Majid, Nissar Ahmad Naikoo, Rabia Farooq, Sheikh Ishaq and Shajrul Amin (2018). Scenario of hypothyroidism and its recent advances in the diagnosis and management – a review. International Journal of Recent Scientific Research. 9(3). 25288-25299.DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.24327/ijrsr.2018.0903.1832
3.Humira Jeelani, Mohd Ashraf Ganie , Shajrul Amin, Iram Ashaq Kawa , Qudsia Fatima, Zainab Drabu , Fouzia Rashid (2017). Polycystic ovary syndrome (pcos) and related diseases. Precision Medicine 2(1). 23-29.
4.Muzafar Ahmad Rather, Faheem Rasool, Zubair Shanib Bhat, Hafiz-Ullah Dar, Mubashir Maqbool, Shajrul Amin, Syed Khalid Yousuf, Zahoor Ahmad (2017). Design and synthesis of indolopyridone hybrids as new antituberculosis agents. Microbial Pathogenesis 113. 330-33 doi: 10.1016/j.micpath.2017.10.045
5. Khalid Bashir Dar, Aashiq Hussain Bhat, Shajrul Amin, Akbar Masood, Mohd Afzal Zargar and Showkat Ahmad Ganie (2017). Herbal Compounds as Potential Anticancer Therapeutics. Annals of Pharmacology and Pharmaceutics 2(20).
6. Syed Douhath Yousuf, Mohammad Ashraf Ganie, Mohammad Afzal Zargar, Shajr Ul Amin, Gulzar A Bhat, Akbar Masood, Fouzia Rashid (2017). The Lys469glu/K469E Polymorphism of the Inflammatory Gene Intercellular Adhesion Molecule-1 Lacks any Apparent Role in the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome in Kashmiri Women: A Case Control Study. Asian Pacific journal of cancer prevention: APJCP 18(11). 2925-29309
7. Muzafar Rather, Ali Mohd Lone, Bisma Teli, Zubair Shanib Bhat, Paramjeet Singh, Mubashir Maqbool, Mohd Jamal Dar, Shajrul Amin, Syed Khalid Yousuf, Bilal Ahmad Bhat and Zahoor Ahmad Parray (2017). Synthesis, Biological Evaluation and Structure - ActivityRelationship of 2-Phenylaminomethylene-cyclohexane-1,3-diones as Specific Anti-tuberculosis Agents. Med. Chem. Commun. 8(11). 2133-2141 DOI:10.1039/C7MD00350A
8. Rouf Maqbool, Shajrul Amin, Sabhiya Majeed, Aaliya Bhat, Shayaq ul Abeer and Mudasar Nabi (2017). XRCC1 Arg194Trp polymorphism is no risk factor for skin cancer development in Kashmiri population. Egyptian Journal of Medical Human Genetics (in press) DOI: 10.1016/j.ejmhg.2017.07.003
9. Saika Manzoor, Ashraf M. Gania, Syed Douhath Yusuf, Shajrul Amin, Rizwana Habib, and Fouzia Rashid (2017). Metabolic Derangements and Possible CVD Risk in PCOS Women Owing to Use of OCP’s as a Treatment Mode – Pros and Cons. J Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 5(3): 1109.
10. Rabia Farooq, Shajrul Amin, Rawoof Malik, Hilal Ahmad Wani, M. Hayat Bhat, and Sabhiya Majid (2017). Type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome – adipokine levels and effect of drugs. Gynecological Endocrinology 2017 Jan 33(1): 75-78 DOI: 10.1080/09513590.2016.1207165
11. Khalid Bashir Dar, Aashiq Hussain Bhat, Shajrul Amin, Mohammad Afzal Zargar, Akbar Masood, Akhtar Hussain Malik and Showkat Ahmad Ganie (2017). Evaluation of Antibacterial, Antifungal and Phytochemical Screening of Solanum nigrum. Biochemistry and Analytical Biochemistry 6(1): 309-320. doi: 10.4172/2161-1009.1000309
12.Syed Sakina, Fouzia Rashid, Masuma Rizvi, Shayaq ul Abeer, Sairish Ashraf, Saika Manzoor, Shajrul Amin (2017). Comparative analysis of clinical, biochemical and hormonal profile of obese versus lean Kashmiri PCOS patients –A pilot study. International Journal of Advances in Science Engineering and Technology 5(2): 55-60.
13.Rather, Muzafar Ahmad; Amin, Shajrul; Maqbool, Mubashir; Bhat, Zubair Shanib; Gupta, Prem Naryan; Ahmad, Zahoor (2016). Preparation and In Vitro Characterization of Albumin Nanoparticles Encapsulating an Anti-Tuberculosis Drug-Levofloxacin Advanced Science, Engineering and Medicine Volume 8, Number 11, November 2016, pp. 912-917(6)
14. Muzafar Ahmad Rather, Shah Mansoor, Zubair Shanib Bhat , Shajrul Amin (2016). Evaluation of antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of Swertia petiolata. Adv. Biomed. Pharma Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.19046/abp.v03i05.04
15. Khalid Bashir Dar, Aashiq Hussain Bhat, Shajrul Amin, Akbar Masood, Mohd Afzal Zargar and Showkat Ahmad Ganie (2016). Inflammation: A multidimensional insight with advanced focus on natural anti-inflammatory therapeutic compounds. Current Medicinal Chemistry2016 Aug 17 23(33): 3775-380
16. Muzafar Ahmad Rather, Shajrul Amin (2016). A comprehensive review on the phytochemical and pharmacological aspects of Podophyllum hexandrum: a high value medicinal plant. Adv. Biomed. Pharma. 3:4, 216-22 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.19046/abp.v03i04.06
17. Khalid Bashir Dar, Aashiq Hussain Bhat, Shajrul Amin, Suhail Anees, Akbar Masood, Mohammed Iqbal Zargar, Showkat Ahmad Ganie (2016). Efficacy of Aqueous and Methanolic Extracts of Rheum Spiciformis against Pathogenic Bacterial and Fungal Strains. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2016 Sep, Vol-10(9): pp18-22.
ISSN: 0973-709X DOI: 10.7860/JCDR/2016/18036.8486
18. Iram Ashaq, Amin Shajrul, Masood Akbar, Fouzia Rashid (2015). Protein Misfolding: In perspective of loss and gain of function. Proteostasis and Chaperone Surveillance. pp 105-11 Doi: 10.1007/978-81-322-2467-9_6
19. Syed Rakashanda, Rabiya Majeed, Asif K Qazi, P Sharma, Abid Hamid and Shajrul Amin (2015). Plant - derived protease inhibitors LC-pi (Lavatera cashmeriana) inhibit human lung cancer cell proliferation in vitro. Nutr Cancer. 2015 Jan; 67(1): 156-66 Doi: 10.1080/01635581.2015.967876
20. Muzamil Ashraf Makhdoomi, Idrees Ayoub Shah, Gulzar Ahmad Bhat, Shajrul Amin, MohdMaqbool Lone, Farhad Islami, Nazir Dar(2015). Association between GSTM1 and GSTT1 polymorphisms and esophageal squamous cell carcinoma: results from a case-control study in Kashmir, India. Tumor Biol. 2015 Apr;36(4):2613-9. doi: 10.1007/s13277-014-2882-0. Epub 2014 Nov 29.
21. Rabia Farooq, Shajrul Amin, Hamid Bashir, Bashir Ahmad Ganaie and Sabiya Majid (2014). TCF4 may act as a tumour suppressor gene in colorectal carcinogenesis. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 3(8): 431-443.
22. Mufti R. Farrukh, Ashraf UlNissar, AfnanQuadri, Rafiq A. Rather, Love Sharma, Shajrul Amin, Kaiser Peerzada, Parduman R. Sharma, Sheikh A. Tasaduq (2014).Oxidative stress mediated Ca2+ release manifests endoplasmicreticulum stress leading to unfolded protein response in UV-B irradiated human skin cells. Journal of Dermatol Sci. 75(1) , 24-35.
23. Showkat Ganie, Tanveer Dar, Bilal Zargar, Rabia Hamid, Ovais Zargar, Parvaiz Dar,Shayaq Abeer Akbar Masood, Shajrul Amin and Mohd Afzal Zargar (2014).Antioxidant and hepatoprotective effects of Cratagus songericam ethanol extract. Journal of Environmental Pathology Toxicology and Oncology 33(2), 131-142
24. Showkat Ahmad Ganie, TanveerAli Dar, Rabia Hamid, Ovais Zargar, Shayaqul Abeer, Akbar Masood, Shajrul Amin, and Mohammad Afzal Zargar (2014).In vitro antioxidant and cytotoxic activities of Arnebia benthamii (Wall ex. G.Don): A critically endangered medicinal plant of Kashmir Valley. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity 2014, 8 page doi:10.1155/2014/792574
25.Syed Rakhashanda and Shajrul Amin (2013). Proteases as targets in anticancer therapy using their inhibitors. J. Life Sci. 5(2), 133-138. doi: 10.1177/09751270.2013.11885220
26. Rabia Farooq, Arif Akbar Bhat, Hilal Ahmad Wani, Hamid Bashir, Shajrul Amin, Bashir Ahmad Gania, and Sabhiya Majid (2013). Role of haematological parameters in diagnosis and prognosis of gastric carcinoma in Kashmir. International Research Journal of Pharmacy 4(8) 134-137.
doi: 10.7897/2230-8407.04824. ISSN (online): 2230- 8407,
27. Syed Rakashanda, AsifKhurshidQazi, RabiyaMajeed, Shaista Rafiq, Ishaq M Dar, Akbar Masood, Abid Hamid and Shajrul Amin(2013). Antiproliferative activity of LC-pis (Lavatera cashmeriana -protease inhibitors) towards human cancer cells. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention 14(6), 3975-3978.
28. Humeera Nisa, Azra N. Kamili, Suhaib A. Bandh, Shajrul Amin, Bashir A. Lone and Javaid A. Parray (2013). Phytochemical Screening, antimicrobial and antioxidant efficacy of different extracts of Rumex dentatus L.- A locally used medicinal herb of Kashmir Himalayas. Asian Pac. J. Trop. Dis. 3(6): 434-440. doi: 10.1016/S2222-1808(13)60097-13
29. Nisa Humeera, Azra N. Kamili, Suhaib A. Bandh, Shajrul Amin, Bashir A. Lone and Nisa Gousia (2013). Antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of alcoholic extracts of Rumex dentatus L. Microbial Pathogenesis 57: 17-28 doi: 10.1016/j.micpath.2013.02.001.Epub2013 Feb.13
30. H.A.Wani, M.A. Beigh, S. Amin, A.A. Bhat, S.A. Bhat, H. Khan, A.A.Mattoo , M. Showkat and S. Majid (2013). Methylation profile of promoter region of p16 gene in colorectal cancer patients of Kashmir Valley. Journal of Biological Regulators & Homeostatic Agents 27(2), 297-307.
31. Syed Rakashanda, Syed Mubashir, Yasrib Qureshi, Akbar Masood, Abid Hamid and Shajrul Amin(2013).Trypsin inhibitors from Lavatera cashmerianaCamb.seeds: Isolation, characterization and invitro cytotoxicity activity. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science Invention. 2(5):55-64. ISSN (online): 2319-6718
32. H.A.Wani, A.A. Bhat,A.A.Mattoo,H. Khan, S. Amin,S.A. Bhat, N.A.Naikoo, T.Rasheed, A. Masood, S. Majid (2013). Distribution of P16 Promoter Hypermethylation in Male/female Colorectal Cancer Patients of Kashmir Valley.International Journal of Engineering Science Invention 2:11-17.
33. Rabia Farooq, Hamid Bashir, Shajrul Amin, Bashir Ahmad Gania, Hilal Ahmad, Hamid Bhat, Akbar Masood and Sabhiya Majid (2013). CPG Methylation in exon 1of TCF4 gene as an early biomarker of gastric cancer. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research 20(2), 93-97.
34. S. Rakashanda, M. Ishaq, A. Masood andS. Amin (2012). Antibacterial activity of a trysin-chymotrypsin-elastase inhibitor isolated from Lavatera cashmerianaCamb.seeds. The Journal of animal and plant Sciences 22(4): 983-986.
35. Syed Rakhshanda, Farukh Rana, Shaista Rafiq, Akbar Masood andShajrul Amin(2012). Role of proteases in cancer - A review. Biotechnology and Molecular Biology Review 7(4): 90-101.doi: 10.5897/BMBR11.027
36.Sadaf Gulzar and Shajrul Amin(2012). Kinetic studies on β-galactosidase isolated from apricots (Prunus armeniaca kaisa). American Journal of Plant Sciences 3(5), 636-645 Doi: 10.4236/ajps.2012.36077
37. R. Farrukh, M. A. Zargar, A. Akhtar , S.A. Tasduq, S. Surjeet, , U. A. Nissar, S. Rakhshanda, A. Masood, S.A. Ganie and A.Shajrul(2012). Antibacterial and antifungal activity of Thymus serpyllum. Botany Research International 5(2): 36-39.
37. Showkat Ahmad Ganie, Shajrul Amin, Rabia Hamid, Abid Hamid, Rabiya Majeed, Yasrib Qurishi, Bilal A. Zargar, Akbar Masood, Mohammad Afzal Zargar (2012).Podophyllum hexandrum aqueous extract as a potential free radical scavenger. Redox report17(2): 54-62.doi: 10.1179/1351000212Y.0000000004