Prinicipal Investigator: Rabia Hameed, Ph.D
Description of Research:
1. Medicinal Plants Research
a) Drug discovery and cancer research
The research group works on discovery of new/novel molecules from plants. The work is focused in the areas of free radical biology, antimicrobial studies, cancer biology and cancer pharmacology, in particular the identification and validation of new molecularly targeted agents. The lab is engaged particularly in the development of anticancer therapeutics from medicinal plants of Himalayan range by providing scientific based evidence and mechanism of action.
• Screening and investigation of the antioxidant, antimicrobial, anti proliferative and apoptotic activity in response to plant extract/lectins treatment.
• Bio-assay guided fractionation/purification for isolation of active molecule(s).
• Evaluation of in vivo anticancer activity using murine models such as Ehrlich Ascites Carcinoma, etc.
• Event based mechanistic studies of actives isolates to determine their mode of action (Target based mechanistic studies).
• Identification of the binding modes of active molecules/isolates and study their mode of actions on to respective disease-associated molecular
targets (Computational/Molecular docking & Molecular dynamics simulations).
In addition the lab is working on blocking stem cell driven colon carcinogenesis with isolated compounds of active seed extracts from plants.
b) Molecular mechanism of immunomodulation/immunology of arthritis
Development of new anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic and immunomodulatory plant based therapeutics and establishing their mode of action at the molecular level (in vitro and in vivo).
• Immunophenotyping of T and B cell surface markers, co-stimulatory markers and T cells mediated cytokine (Th1 and Th2) generation, assessment on T cells, and intracellular and extracellular content of cytokines.
• Elucidating the molecular mechanism of action based on inhibitory effects on signaling proteins in arthritis and inflammation.
c) Metabolic Profile analysis in diabetes
• Antidiabetic activity of plant extracts/molecules using in vitro studies and in vivo murine models and expression status of major proteins involved.
d) Effect of plant products on progression and management of Alzheimers’ disease
• Neuroprotection of plant extracts against H2O2 insult and amyloid beta in N2A cells
• Upregulation of antioxidant genes like Nrf-2, heme oxygenase and Keap
e) Evaluation of Gene Patterns changes in Hypertensive patients in response to
plant based molecules
• Expression analysis of Proinflammatory factors and Sestrin3 gene in hypertensive patients and the response of peripheral blood monocytes to Piperine
2. Molecular basis of diseases
• Role of promoter hypermethylation status of mgmt Gene and h-mlh1 gene in stomach and colorectal cancer to establish it as a potential biomarker
• Polymorphism studies on XRCC3 gene and risk of gastric cancer in Kashmiri population
• Implications of α-1 Syntrophin and P66Shc interaction on cytoskeletal dynamics in Breast Carcinoma Cells
• Role of low grade inflammation and gene expression of pro and anti-inflammatory genes IL-10, IFN-alpha and IFN-gamma in type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
• School of Biotechnology, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi for computational studies in evaluation of
medicinal properties of purified bioactive plant molecules
• IIIM, Jammu- Evaluation of anticancer activity of lectins and bioactive molecules from medicinal plants of
• IIIM, Srinagar- in anticancer drug development
• Govt. Medical College, Srinagar
- Hypermethylation studies / gene polymorphisms in colorectal and stomach cancers
- Role of low grade inflammation and gene expression of pro and anti-inflammatory genes in type 2 diabetes
and metabolic syndrome
• Sher-i-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar- Expression analysis of Proinflammatory factors and Sestrin3 gene in hypertensive patients and response of peripheral blood monocytes to Piperine
• Department of Biotechnology, University of Kashmir for signaling studies, and oxidative stress in cance progression
• Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Kashmir- Evaluation of Antimicrobial and Antioxidant activities of Medicinal plants
• Centre for Research and Development University of Kashmir, for effect of plant molecules on Alzhiemer’s disease
• SKUAST, Srinagar for immunomodulatory activity of plant mol
1. Ovais Zargar, Rohina Bashir, Sumaya Hassan, Muzafar Bhat, Showkat A Ganie, andRabia Hamid* (2018) Hepatoprotective Potential of Elsholtzia densa against acute and chronic models of liver damage in wistar rats. Drug Research. (Thieme Medical Publishing Group) ISSN: 2194-9379. 68: 1–9 I.F: 0.701 DOI https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0044-102094.
2. Suhail Anees, Khalid Dar, Aashiq Bhat, Showkat Ganie, Rabia Hamid* (2018) Evaluation of antioxidant and anti-hyperlipidemic effect of active extracts of Fragaria nubicola. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. ISSN: 2320-5148 2018 (2): 1-6 I.F: 0.59 (Five yr I.F: 1.83).
3. Rohaya Ali, Rabia Hamid* et al. (2018) Evaluation of Antioxidant and Immunomodulatory potential of methanolic extract of Juniperus squamata. Free Radicals and Antioxidants (SciBiolMed.Org and Phcog.Net) ISSN: 2231-2536. I.F: 1.069. 8(2): 1-9 DOI: 10.5530/pj.2017.4.xx
4. Muzafar Ahmad Bhat, Showkat Ahmad Ganie, Khalid Bashir Dar, Rohaya Ali, Rabia Hamid*. (2018) In-vitro Antioxidant Potential and Hepatoprotective activity of Taxus wallichiana. Asian journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research Print ISSN- 0974-2441 Online ISSN- 2455-3891, 12:1-6 I.F: 0.567
5. Sumaya Hassan, Nasreena Sajjad, Rohaya Ali1, Showkat Ahmad Ganie, Rabia Hamid* (2018) In Vitro Antioxidant Potential of various Extracts Of Meconopsis aculeate. International journal of Advance Research in Science and Engineering ISSN-2319-8354, 7(4):1984-1995.
6. Nasreena Sajjad, Abubakar Wani, Rohaya Ali, Sumaya Hassan, Bashir Ahmed Ganai, Rabia Hamid (2018) Preliminary Phytochemical Screening and Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitory Activity of Artemisia amgdalina. International journal of Advance Research in Science and Engineering ISSN-2319-8354, 7(4):2092-2098.
7. Abhinav Grover, Rabia Hamid, Aditi Singh, Salma Jamal, Sukriti Goyal, Divya Wahi, Ritu Jain (2017) Cheminformatics models based on machine learning approaches to identify novel histone lysine methyltransferase NSD2 antagonists. Computational Biology and Chemistry. ISSN: 1476-9271. I.F: 1.43 (Elsevier). In Print
8. Ovais Zargar, Rohina Bashir, Muzafar Ahmad Bhat, Sumaya Hassan, Rohaya Ali, Nasreena Sajjad, Showkat Ahmad Ganie, Rabia Hamid* (2018) Elsholtzia densa methanolic extract modulates inflammatory markers in LPS challenged RAW 267.4 cells and in vivo models of inflammation. Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine (Springer) ISSN: 1598-2386 (print version) ISSN: 2211-1069 (electronic version) I.F: 0.477. In Press
9. Rohina Bashir, Ovais Zargar, Akhtar H Malik, Rabia Hamid* (2018) Thymus linearis methanolic extract modulates the pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines levels in in-vitro and in-vivo models of inflammation. Anti-Inflammatory and Anti- Allergy Agents in Medicinal Chemistry (Bentham Science) ISSN: 1875-614X (Online) ISSN: 1871-5230 (Print) In Press.
10. Faheem Sheikh, Hasham Sofi, Roqia Ashraf, Mushtaq A Beigh, Shabana Arjamand, Rabia Hamid, Javier Macossay-Torres (2018) Novel and facile approaches by functionalization and blending in chitosan nanofibers appropriate for biomedical applications. Bioactive Carbohydrates and Dietary Fibre (Elsevier) ISSN: 2212-6198 I.F: 0.946. In communication.
11. Roqia Ashraf, Hasham S. Sofi, Aijaz Malik, Mushtaq A Beigh, Rabia Hamid, Faheem A. Sheikh, (2018) Recent trends in the fabrication of starch nanofibers: Electrospinning and non-electrospinning routes and their applications in biotechnology, Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, (Springer) ISSN: 0273- 2289 I.F: 1.75. In communication.
12. Rabia Hamid* (2017) Textbook of Free Radicals: Concepts in Biology and Medicine. Atlantic Publishers and Distributors, New Delhi ISBN: 978-81-269-2643-5 (HB) 978-81-269-2658-9 (PB).
13. Rabia Hamid* and Shaista Rafiq (2017) Lectins: From Recognition Molecules to Anti-cancer Agents. In: Phytochemistry and Pharmacology of Medicinal Herbs (Abbas Ali Mahdi, Murtaza Abid, M.M. Abid Ali Khan and Raaz K. Maheshwari, Eds) Chapter 4 pp 34-48 ISBN: 9789385995460, Publisher: Lenin Media Pvt. Ltd. Delhi, India.
14. Ovais Zargar, Muzafar Bhat, Rohaya Ali, Showkat A Ganie, and Rabia Hamid* (2017) Plant Phenolics in Cancer Chemoprevention. International Journal of Development Research. ISSN: 2230-9926. Indexed and Refereed. Vol. 7(8): 14541- 14544.
15. Ovais Zargar, Rohina Bashir, Sumaya Hassan, Muzafar Bhat, Showkat A Ganie, and Rabia Hamid* (2017) Evaluation of Anti-inflammatory and Arthritic activities of Elsholtzia densa. International Journal of Basic and Applied Biology. ISSN: 2349- 5839 (online), 2349-5820 (print). 4(4): 192-197.
19. Ovais Zargar; Rabia Hamid, et al (2016) Free Radical Scavenging and Cytotoxic Activity of Seed Extracts of Podophyllum hexandrum. Phytotherapie (Springer) ISSN: 1624-8597 (Print) 1765-2847 (Online), Indexed and Refereed. First Online: 24 October 2016 pp 1-9 DOI: 10.1007/s10298-016-1072-1.
20. Nowsheen Shameem, Rabia Hamid, et al. (2015) Antimicrobial and antioxidant activity of methanol extracts of Arnebia benthamii (Wall ex. G. Don) Johnston—a critically endangered medicinal plant of North Western Himalaya. Journal of Analytical Science and Technology (Springer) ISSN: 2093-3371 6:36 (1-8) Dec 10; DOI 10.1186/s40543-015-0076-z
21. Haamid Bashir, Rabia Hamid, et al. (2015) Polymorphism of the XRCC3 gene and risk of gastric cancer in Kashmiri population: a case control study. European Journal of Cancer Prevention ISSN: 0959-8278 Online ISSN: 1473-5709. I.F= 2.974 doi: 10.1097/CEJ.0000000000000115 24(3) 165-175. Indexed and Refereed.
22. Shaista Rafiq, et al., and Rabia Hamid*. (2014) Purification and partial Characterization of a Fructose-binding lectin from the leaves of Euphorbia helioscopia. Pak. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. ISSN 1011-601X I.F: 1.103. H index=17 Vol. 27(6) November: 1805-1810 Indexed and Refereed.
23. Ahlam Mushtaq, Rabia Hamid, et al. (2014) Phytochemical Screening, Physicochemical Properties Acute Toxicity Testing and Screening of Hypoglycaemic Activity of Extracts of Eremurus Himalaicus Baker in Normoglycaemic Wistar Strain Albino Rats. Biomed Research International: Therapeutic Potential of Natural Pharmacological Agents in the Treatment of Human Diseases: ISSN: 2314-6133 (Print) ISSN: 2314-6141 (Online) IF: 2.88 H index=9 Vol.2014: Article ID 867547, 1- 6 http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/867547. Indexed and Refereed.
24. Jaspreet K Dhanjal, Rabia Hamid, et al. (2014) Mechanistic insights into mode of action of potent natural antagonists of BACE-1 for checking Alzheimer's plaque pathology. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. ISSN: 0006- 291X IF: 2.5. H index=180. 443(3):1054-1059 DOI: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2013. 12.08.Indexed and Refereed.
25. Manisha Goyal, Rabia Hamid et al. (2014) Development of novel dual inhibitors against Alzheimer’s using fragment-based QSAR and molecular docking approaches.Biomed Research International: Integrative Genomics and Computational Systems Medicine: ISSN: 2314-6133 (Print) ISSN: 2314-6141 (Online) IF: 2.88 H index = 9 Vol. 2014: 1-12 Article ID 979606, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/979606. Indexed and Refereed.
26. Showkat Ganie, Rabia Hamid, et al. (2014) Antioxidant and hepatoprotective effects of Cratagus songerica methanol extract Journal of Environmental Pathology, Toxicology and Oncology Print: 0731-8898 ISSN Online: 2162-6537 33(2):131–143 I.F: 1.107 ISSN DOI: 10.1615/ JEnviron PatholToxicolOncol. 2014010606. Indexed and Refereed.
27. Showkat Ahmad Ganie, Rabia Hamid, et al. (2014) In vitro antioxidant and cytotoxic activities of Arnebia benthamii (Wallex.G.Don)-A critically endangered medicinal plant of Kashmir valley. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. ISSN: 1942- 0900 (Print) ISSN: 1942-0994 (Online) I.F 3.39 H Index=16 Volume 2014, Article ID 792574, 8 pages http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/792574. Indexed and Refereed.
28. Shaista Rafiq, et al., and Rabia Hamid*. (2013) Antiproliferative activity of Lotus corniculatus lectin towards Human tumor cell lines. Phytomedicine. ISSN: 0944- 7113. 21: 30–38. Doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2013.08.005 I.F: 3.258. H index=64. Indexed and Refereed.
29. Sakeena, et al., and Hamid, R*. (2013). Evaluation of Antimicrobial Activity of a Lectin Isolated and Purified from Indigofera heterantha. Advances in Bioscience and Biotechnology. 4(11): 999-1006. ISSN: 2156-8456 (Print) ISSN: 2156-8502 (Online) I.F:0.43 Indexed and Refereed.
30. Rabia Hamid (2013). Research Prospects in Biotechnology in Higher Education Scenario. In: Higher Education in India (Kumar and Kumar eds.) Atlantic Publishers, India. pp 316-329. ISBN: 978-81-269-1840-9.
31. Misba Khan, et al., and Rabia Hamid* (2013). In Vitro Antimicrobial Potentiality of Elsholtzia Densa against Pathogenic Bacterial and Fungal Strains. Journal of Pure and Applied Microbiology. ISSN: 0973-7510. 7(2): 1019-1026 I.F: 0.065. H index=4. Indexed and Refereed.
32. Rabia Hamid*, et al. (2013). Lectins: Proteins with Diverse Applications. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. ISSN: 2231-3354. 3(4, S1): 93-103. Indexed and Refereed.
33. Haamid, B., et al., and Rabia Hamid. 2013 'Hypothyroidism: Its screening and management and role in erythrocyte abnormalities: A systematic review'. International Journal Of Medical And Pharmaceutical Sciences 03 (07):18-25. Print ISSN 2231- 2188; E-ISSN: 2231-685X. SJ I.F: 5.001. Indexed and Refereed.
34. Rabia Hamid** (2013) Hypothyroidism in Women. In: Sustainable Development of Women-Issues and Problems, (D. Pulla Rao Ed.) pp. 23-32 Mangalam Publications, Delhi. 978-93-81142-88-2.
35. Haamid B, Rabia Hamid, et al. (2012). Comparison of hematological parameters in untreated and treated Subclinical hypothyroidism and Primary hypothyroidism Patients. Medical Journal of the Islamic Republic of Iran (MJIRI). ISSN: 1016-1430 26 (4): 172-178. H index=5 Indexed and Refereed.
36. S. A. Ganie, Rabia Hamid, et al. (2012) Radical scavenging and antibacterial activity of Arnebia benthamii methanol extract. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine (Elsevier). ISSN No.: 1995-7645. 5(10): 766–772. I.F: 1.225 H index= 9. Indexed and Refereed.
37. Rabia Hamid* (2012) Understanding Carbohydrate Metabolism Vol. I. Kashmir Book Trust, Publishers & Distributors, JK India ISBN No.: 9788190864244.
38. Rabia Hamid* (2012) Understanding Carbohydrate Metabolism Vol. II. Kashmir Book Trust, Publishers & Distributors, JK India ISBN No.: 9788190864251.
39. Rabia Hamid**. (2012) A Handbook of Lectins - Structure and Biomedical Applications. Lambert Academic Publishing House, Germany. ISBN: 978-3-8473-4275-5